Wednesday, October 17, 2012

UCSD Protected WiFi & Linux

So this one is just for the immensely frustrated UCSD students who cannot get their linux laptop connected to the university's protected network.

This is a really simple fix...
Delete any prior attempts to connect to UCSD-PROTECTED

Connect to UCSD-PROTECTED

input these values


  • Security = WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
  • Authentication = protected eap (peap)
  • Certificate = NONE
  • PEAP = ver 0
  • Inner Auth = MSCHAPv2
  • User/Pass = your active directory username and password
    • (This is what you use to login to TED/blackboard)
The key here is to NOT use the certificate!
Then just ignore the warning about it.

Everything works like it should now... enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. thanks so much! you saved my academic life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that this helped you!
      I have found that quite a few of the linux WiFi drivers have issues with the WPA2 enterprise encryption.

      I have an Atheros chip in my laptop and the ath9k drivers are really finicky.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! That worked out well.

    I had two school IT technicians who couldn't figure it out and then recommend that I get Windows or an Apple.

    With this very simple solution, I can continue with Linux.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger won't auto-notify the author of your comment, but he does reads through them every few days to post replies.